Social Skills Training
PEERS Social Skills Training and Intervention in Orange County
Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills (PEERS®) is a 16-week evidence-based social skills intervention for motivated teens in middle school or high school who are interested in learning ways to help them make and keep friends. During each group session teens are taught important social skills and are given the opportunity to practice these skills in session during real play activities (e.g. playing sports, board games, etc.). Parents are taught how to assist their teens in making and keeping friends by providing feedback through coaching during weekly socialization homework assignments. We incorporate Mindful Practices and Collaborative Problem Solving Techniques.
Topics of Instruction:
- How to use appropriate conversational skills
- How to find common interests by trading information
- How to appropriately use humor
- How to enter and exit conversations between peers
- How to handle rejection, teasing, and bullying
- How to handle rumors and gossip
- How to be a good host during get-togethers
- How to make phone calls to friends
- How to choose appropriate friends
- How to be a good sport
- How to handle arguments and disagreements
- How to change a bad reputation
What are the participation requirements?
- Have friendship problems
- Teens in middle school or high school
- Teens must be interested in attending the program.
- Teens must agree to participate in the program voluntarily
- Call our office at 949-418-9353 to complete a 15-minute phone screen with a member of our staff, and subsequently receive an enrollment packet.
- Complete and return your enrollment packet
- Come in (parent and child) for a 1.5-hour intake appointment with one of our clinicians to determine if our program is appropriate for you and your child.
Please call our office for information about our current fees for PEERS social skills training. Many insurance companies may cover part of the cost of the program.
For more information about the research go to www.semel.ucla.edu/peers
Contact us for an appointment: 949-418-9353